Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Trees and Chi Omega



This is the Christmas Tree that lives at Chi Omega! Chi Omega is my home, albeit only for 14 more days. As my time in Montana winds down quickly, I'm starting to see myth and realize the little things are more important than I think. 
I know a lot of people have a lot of stigmas towards greek life and sororities. We're portrayed in media as vapid women that care about alcohol and sex and have no intellectual value; TV shows such as Greek and every other show/movie based at any college send this message to people across our culture.
I joined Chi Omega is August of 2012 and have never made a better decision in my life. These women, these 76 women, have bettered, served, and grown me as a human being. The assignment we had earlier in the class, to hug a tree, was something I laughed at as I asked one of my sisters to take a picture of me hugging a tree. However, what it led to was about 4 of us running around downtown Bozeman hugging and climbing trees (and getting yelled at by a homeowner for trespassing, oops). Yes, quite a few of us have danced with Dionysus on a couple different occasions, however, not a single one of us has ever danced alone.

Chi Omega is greek by nature. Made up of two of the twenty four letters that make up the greek alphabet, Chi and Omega hold special meaning to those who have initiated into the sisterhood of Chi Omega. Sisterhood and family is a huge theme throughout all of greek mythology, and it would be a lie to say that our sisterhood is anything but true. Sororities and fraternities started with students that wanted to meet secretly for discussion and debate that was not deemed appropriate by their administrations. Today, sororities and fraternities are groups of individuals who place value in scholarship, high standards of personnel, friendship, community service, campus involvement, and career development. 
One of our symbols is an owl, and though I cannot tell you why, I can expand on some knowledge that interested me from the first day of class. Hades, who's lover is our beloved Persephone, was quite the fan of the owl. It was one of his favorite creatures. Moreover, Persephone, his consort, is part of our tradition and history (moreso in the way of her and Demeter rather than her love story with Hades). Chi Omega is rooted in greek mythology. Owls, carnations, skull and crossbones, Demeter and Persephone. Our seal is characterized by Demeter in the middle surrounded by 5 uneven scallops.
If you look hard enough, if you can get past the stereotypical sorority woman, then you can see that we are rooted in Greek mythology farther back than you can imagine. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it is really cool that you were able to take such a fun class that allowed you to relate to your sisterhood in an even deeper way. Learning more about your sorority's heritage through the activities we did and stories we read must have been a fulfilling experience!

    ReplyDelete