Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Air Quotations

As the semester comes to a close, I'm starting to realize that this blog is looking a little malnourished.
Between now and December 3rd, I'm going to be doing all of the "suggested" posts that Dr. Sexson has told us to do.

Last Friday, I went to Seven Sushi with my "friend" Griffin. We waited in line for "half an hour", according to the hostess, and finally were seated. Our waiter was friendly and personable but seemed a little too... "helpful". Griffin and I ordered sushi; his order was the "Jawdropper"roll and a salmon roll, and mine was the "Playboy" roll and a California roll. We talked for the 45 minutes it took for our sushi to come and we covered a lot of different topics. I told him while we were on our way there that I was going to be using air quotations at dinner and he laughed it off, not thinking I was serious. However, we were eating and talking about our "relationship" and how much we "loved" each other and whatnot, and he was starting to get freaked out at my uncanny ability to make him question every thing that I was saying. We started talking about how I was leaving to go back to Georgia for law school in December, but it didn't take long for him to be very confused about what I was saying. I told him I was "leaving" for "good" in December for "law school" and that I didn't know how the distance was going to affect us. I told him that "change" was good and that maybe 2,000 miles would be "enlightening" for us.
At this point, Griffin was having a heart attack.
I told him to try out using air quotations on random words and he obliged.
Soon enough, we were having a full on conversation with air quotations being used left and right, and the people surrounding us and the waiter was very, very concerned as to what we were doing.
He approached us, asking why we were using quotations in the middle of the restaurant, and waited "patiently" for an answer.
Griffin replied perfectly, "We're using "air quotations" to say things without the full impact and to change the meaning to be in the ears of the listener."
The waited, looking befuddled and getting impatient, asked us why we would do that.
I replied, "Someone once told me that using air quotations would distort the meaning, and the results could be quite funny"
The waiter, unpleased, finally asked, "Well, what is the meaning?!"
And Griffin, right on cue, said "What do you mean, "meaning"? "
He left us with our sushi, we laughed for a while, and when the bill came, our total was around $38 and Griffin wanted to leave one last remark on the bill to really bring the point full circle.
He left a tip of $7, except it looked like this:

Sub-Total: $38
Tip: "$7.00"
Total: "$45"


No comments:

Post a Comment