Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Presentations, Day 3

Statements/snippets from speeches that caught my attention today:
  • Scars tell stories and teach lessons that we'll never forget
    • I completely agree because there's a huge scar on my right knee that reminds me to never ride a razor scooter down a very steep hill and slam on the brakes, because you WILL go flipping over the handlebars and skid down the pavement on your knee
  • What is more significant than history or culture?
  • If I begin to understand something, I'm definitely wrong
  • Interest is the most essential part of mythologies
  • Scars are tattoos, only with better series
  • Pain is temporary, yet lives forever because pain is symbolic of a story and stories never die
  • To live a life of myth is to live the life of a God
  • Our similarities are more prevalent than our differences
  • Our destination is the same as our point of origin
  • I'm seldom wrong
  • Dr. Sexson is the arch nemesis of Google
  • A legend is only a legend because of the story
  • Success is realizing how unimportant you are and how important others are
  • Trees symbolize the natural world
  • "Please don't forget."
I think the worst part of this class is that it's forced me to understand that classes like Lit 285 with Dr. Sexson are the classes that make us who we are. Too often are classes about memorization and recognition of factual intelligence and the newest "discovery", but this class is about finding yourself in myth, and at least for me, losing a lot of what I prided myself in. The idea of leaving this class knowing that classes like these only come around once or twice is very sad to internalize.

No comments:

Post a Comment